Episode 27 - Michelangelo of Metal - Spencer Aplin
August 16, 2023
In the craft of blades, you encounter some enigmatic creatures that knock your socks off, and this maker is one of them! Spencer Aplin of STA Custom Knives and The Stag Depot talks to me about his style of blades, artistry, pedagogy, and his journey through knives.
- Spencer and I talk about how we got to know each other better through my child at a knife show
- He then talks about makers who've influenced him
- We talk about forging one's own path and the patience required to get other people to notice
- Spencer talks some about his technique in sculpting steel and his thoughts on design
- We talk about how knives, and life can force you to make lemonade out of lemons
- He talks about his growing up, battling depression, and meeting his wife Lisa, who has osteogenesis imperfecta
- Spencer and I talk about our children's disabilities (HLHS & osteogenesis imperfecta)
- We also talk ALOT about creativity and philosophy of knives
- Spender and I also cover the knife market, building a brand, maker opinions, knife shows, Steve Schwarzer coming to visit Spencer, Jason Knight, and a whole lot more!
You can find Spencer's work on social media, such as Facebook, Instagram, and also on his website. You can also join his group on Facebook for The Stag Depot and get the opportunity to buy some killer stag!
Aaron Lawvere: Website, Instagram